February 13, 2013

JAKARTA IS A BITCH - for street walkers



This is the most challenging day for me being a street walker in Jakarta so far.
Crossing the street on a rush hour is one thing, but getting stuck in the middle of the long wide road
and almost being hit by 3 cars and 2 motorcycle (to be precise) is a lot to handle.
It's upsetting and sad to ever think that lack of concern from others can cause a road accident 
which possibly lead my way to die. Okay that's a paranoid talk, but if you ever feel that close to lose your life
on such irresponsible hand - then you'll understand what I was upset for.

I was walk heading home at 7 pm from work and like usual I pick my spot near the U turn to cross.
It's the safest way to cross since there's no overpass at all. My bigger chance is to wait for some cars
to take the U turn, so the other car will have no other choice than to wait and slowing down.
The road wide is about 8-10 cars away which you could imagine how hard it can be
to get to the other side at such rush hour.

I carefully calculate the timing, see if there's space for me to slip safely into gap between
one car to another. I nailed a quarter way smoothly but I ran out of luck. A line of cars
blocked my way with high speed and I'm sure with no intention to let me have my way at all.
I can't go back yet can't move forward either. I went a statue for like the longest five seconds that night.
The cars still don't take a brake, but I gather my guts and took one step ahead. It was a wrong move.
Three cars and one motorcycle nearly scratched me, another motorbike strikes my bag,
but I was lucky. I got to the other side without any physical injured, only paranoia.

This was not just my story, I'm sure there are a lot of people experience such heartbreaking situation
or even worse than mine. My friend says that for the people here, safety is not a basic needs.
Regarding what happened today and not to mention years of major disappointment for this
inhuman behavior we've been dealing with, I must agree. I am a car driver too, but until
now I never let my urge to get to my destination in a flash beat over the safety of someone else's life.

I share this as a hope that we could reflect ourselves in other's shoes. Realized that we shouldn't
be ignorant to other people needs. Prevent regretful action that could cause people harmed, or even
cost their lives. Let's widen up our heart to keep the human alive, in the monster we've become.

No comments:

Post a Comment